Tuesday, March 28, 2017
This week, I'm working on my monthly press cycle for a magazine I write for. During weeks like this, I am often distracted and choose not to trade. Nonetheless, I monitor the markets for things of interest. Today, I spotted clearly what I had been suspecting for the past couple of weeks...
Since President Trumps speech to the Congress, the U.S. Equities markets have rallied into all time highs (white space) where the formation of market profile continents and island formations have been observed on clean canvas.
The equity markets include the ES, YM and NQ (S&P 500, Dow & Nasdaq E-Mini contracts).
1) J. Dalton teaches that markets which travel to precise visual locations (i.e. highs, lows, points of control, etc.) are typical of Short Time Frame traders in control.
2) Observations of the price action during the day finds Short Time Frame traders have been in frequent control during the past 20 days, with price action typically reacting to visual market profile structural features.
3) Price action amongst the three equities appears to be close to being similar.
4) Over the past 20 days:
4a) The NQ has formed a prominent continent and prominent island. Today, price closed in the NQ island.
4b) The YM & ES has formed prominent continents, mediocre islands, and additionally reinforcing the composite market profile structure "south" of the 20 day Points of Control.
4b1) This is so prevalent in the YM, that a case may be made that sellers are potentially short in the hole at present.
4b2) Presently, the ES is sitting in a Low Volume Area between the continent and the "southern" volume mass.
Given Item 3, that the price action appears to attempt to move in unison, the situation has arisen where MP structural "road bumps" in one market will appear as "pauses" in other the other equity markets for what immediately appear to be as no good reason.
For the time being, while the three equity markets are highly correlated and until a Longer Time Frame trader steps in, it seems prudent for the while to monitor price action throughout the day of all three equities - Not simply trade what's in front of you but "what's in front of you".
In the charts below, note the
- Similar price action in the equities for the past 5-8 trading days (3)
- The similar/malformations of the 20 day composite Market Profile (4)
- Today's price with respect of the different MP terrains.
- Also seen the notes within each graphic.
- Breather before resumption of the NCAA March Madness
- Busy working on my column
- Equities “appear” to have put in an M17 low
- Longer time frame traders appeared today providing range extension (long) in equities
- Equities are out of formation for a unified move (watch for fragmented moves)
- Gold & Oil reacting off structural S/R failing to penetrate further
- Assume continued consolidation (intraday & initial balance development trading)
- Watch for natural b/os
Monday, March 27, 2017
Been spending time with a new chart arrangement to better allow me to follow multiple markets over multiple time frames - It took awhile. One of the nice things is that I can get to almost anywhere I desire in 2-3 clicks with a lot less panning and scrolling.
This week is magazine month but need to get back into the habit of market study.
After the ridiculous rallies, the markets are taking a breather. Serious barnacle island formations are needed as the market profile structure below us are rather "thin"
The three equities have "finally" completed retest of the 50% pullback with the NQ and ES having accomplished this last week - Today, the YM finally touched this support level and 'jumped" back higher into value. This test was aided by the overnight selloff during the globex session which doesn't surprise me.
Oil is finding support around $47/barrel, a long time frame Low Volume Area, having tested the level about three times
Gold is at a key level, $1260 resistance, another longer time frame low volume area.
We are at key make or break levels where the market either consolidates building support on fragile space, else we stand a chance for price drives to new locations for auctioning.
Continue day trading accordingly.